We don’t think about smiling. But according to Dr. Mark Stiblich, we should. Here’s why:
Top 10 Reasons to Smile
1. Smiling Makes Us Attractive. We’re drawn to people who smile. There’s an attraction factor. We want to know a smiling person and figure out what’s so good. Frowns, scowls and grimaces push people away. But a smile draws them in. Smile often and you’ll draw people to you. If nothing else, they’ll wonder what you’re up to.
2. Smiling Changes Our Mood. Next time you’re feeling down, try putting on a smile. There’s a good chance your mood will change for the better. Smiling can trick the body into helping you change your mood.
3. Smiling Is Contagious. When someone is smiling, they lighten up the room, change the moods of others, and make things happier. A smiling person brings happiness with them. Smile lots and people around you will smile.
4. Smiling Relieves Stress. Stress can really show up in our faces. Smiling helps prevent us from looking tired, worn down, and overwhelmed. When you’re stressed, take time to put on a smile. The stress will be reduced and you’ll be ready to take action.
5. Smiling Boosts Your Immune System. Smiling helps the immune system to work better. When you smile, immune function improves because you’re relaxed. Prevent colds and the flu by smiling.
6. Smiling Lowers Your Blood Pressure. When you smile, there’s a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. Give it a try if you have access to a blood pressure monitor. Sit for a few minutes and take a reading. Then smile for a minute and take another reading while still smiling. The difference is noticeable.
7. Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain Killers, And Serotonin. The body produces endorphins, natural pain killers, and serotonin, and together these three natural chemicals make us feel good. Studies have shown that smiling releases all three. Smiling is a natural prescription for feeling good.
8. Smiling Lifts The Face And Makes You Look Younger. The muscles we use to smile lift the face, making us appear younger. Don’t go for a face lift. Just try smiling your way through the day. You’ll look younger instantly!
9. Smiling Makes You Look Successful. Smiling people appear more confident, are more likely to be promoted, and are more likely to be approached. Put on a smile at meetings and appointments, and people will react to you differently.
10. Smiling Helps You Stay Positive. Try this test: Smile. Now try to think of something negative without losing the smile. It’s hard. When we smile our brain sends the rest of our body a message that “Life is Good!” Stay away from depression, stress and worry by smiling.
Smiling not only benefits us, it benefits the people we interact with each day. Even if they can’t see us. How? People can hear us smiling through our voice. That’s why DJ’s and other on-air personalities are actually taught how to smile while they speak into the microphone. Try this: say a sentence to your friend on the phone without smiling. Then say the same sentence with a genuine smile and see how it comes across. You’ll be amazed at the difference in your voice and attitude when you smile while speaking. You can brighten someone’s day with a smile, even if they’re a thousand miles away.
So in the words of Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island, “Smiles, everyone! Smiles!”
“‘What a relief to see your friendly smile. It is like seeing the face of God!’” Genesis 33:10 (NLT)
May I pray?
Heavenly Father, thank You for creating us with the ability to smile! We don’t use it enough! Help us to take a light-hearted approach to smiling today and test out the Top 10 Reasons to Smile. Help us to bless the people we come in contact with today through our smiles. Encourage us through the smiles of others. And may we never forget the power of a smile to change any situation. For when we smile, we truly are reflecting You. Amen.
Q4U: What’s the best reason to smile?