What’s the hardest thing about getting lost? Is it the delay it causes? Or the stress of not knowing how to get back on route? Or maybe it’s the fear that we’re so far off course we’ll never get to where we really want to be.
A lot of us feel lost.
GPS or not, when it comes to life, we aren’t where we think we should be. And even if we know where we want to end up, we don’t know how to get there from here. So we try this or that. We head here or there. But without clear direction, we’re running in circles or veering back into the wilderness.
Here’s good news: There’s a path of life marked out for you, and you can find it.
5 Steps On the Right Path Forward
1. Throw off everything that hinders you from moving forward. Cast away any sin that entangles you. Whatever keeps you trapped and tied up, cut the ties and don’t go back. Temptations can ensnare us. Leaving them behind is the first step to moving forward on the right path.
2. Run with perseverance. Run! We can’t stay wallowing in the mud puddles we’ve been in. We need to get up and start moving. But we also have to realize that life is a marathon, not a sprint. The trek will be long and hard. We’ll get tired and doubt we can make it. So don’t give up!
3. Look for the markers along the path. We’re not running blindly. Just like in a race where every mile has a marker telling us where we are, so too the path we’re on has markers. How do I know? Because God says He has gone ahead of us and marked out the path (Hebrews 12:1). Our job is to look for the markers and follow them. Look for the signs of God and follow Him. You’re reading this blog on a website about doing life together in sisterhood. Could this be a sign?
4. Fix your eyes on Jesus. Jesus is at the finish line. That’s where our attention needs to be. Not fixating on our circumstances or what other people are doing. Eyes on Him. If we don’t focus on our goal, we’ll be running around not going anywhere fast, or running in circles getting nowhere.
5. Believe that God has already paid your way to heaven, the ultimate destination. It’s a free ticket. There’s nothing we have to do (or can do) to earn it. We don’t have to work our way to get in God’s favor. We don’t have to do good deeds to go to heaven. We just have to accept that Jesus paid the full fare. He finished the work to gain entrance to heaven. Now it’s a journey along the path of life to get there. And what God wants is for us to join Him.
No matter where we are in life, we can find our way to the right path forward. We don’t have to be afraid of what lies ahead. It’s good. It’s leading to heaven. And best of all, it’s not full of things we have to do or hoops to jump through.
We just have to look for Jesus. He is marking the path. He’s at the finish line. Head toward Him. Seek Jesus in His Word. Pursue Him in prayer. Connect with new sisters in Christ who are running with Him. Take His hand and don’t let go.
When we’re with Jesus, we’re exactly where we need to be. Sins of the past fall behind, new and healthy friendships grow, and suddenly we realize we’re on the right path forward.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2
May I pray?
Dear Jesus, so often we feel lost and discouraged because we’re going in the wrong direction or going nowhere at all. Help us to believe that You are the right path. Thank You that no matter where we’ve been, no matter where we are, You are here now ready to lead us. Give us the courage to throw off everything that keeps us from You. Help us to run with perseverance, looking for the everyday markers pointing us to You. And please bring new sisters to encourage us as we take daily steps on the right path forward. Amen.
Q4U: What step will you take today on the right path forward?